Friday, July 15, 2011

hello, friends

Hello, and welcome aboard. We're about to embark on a journey of a lifetime! Nestled conveniently between my graduation from UCSB and my entrance into the "real world," this trip to Africa will be a chance for me to reconnect, to reflect, and to dream...

I thought the video below would be a perfect visual introduction to "Mama Africa," and also would serve to illuminate my inspiration for creating this blog. In addition to my love for reggae (sorry, Julia), I'm drawn to this song because it so casually and effortlessly touches on the undeniable allure of Africa.

 


"Even though we're oceans away
You're with me
Day by day
Memories of you keep flashing
Through my mind
The very thought of you
Makes my time"

It has been almost ten years since my last visit to Africa, yet my memories from that trip are some of my most vivid. The sounds of the bush. The smells of brunch cooking over a campfire. The clouds resting on Table Mountain and penguins on the beach. The morning ritual of tea and Ouma's rusks. It all makes up that allure I'm talking about. And THAT, my friends, is what I hope to share with you. 

I will live, record, and share my two months in Africa. And maybe by the end of it all, we'll come to know a bit better this magical place we can commonly call our homeland. (And maybe... just maybe... I might find the path to my future on this journey to my roots.) 

Welcome aboard. Please keep all arms and legs inside the Land Rover.

No comments:

Post a Comment